YANGON – Myanmar’s National Defence and Security Council (NDSC) on Wednesday extended the state of emergency in the Southeast Asian country for six more months.
According to a statement signed by Acting President U Myint Swe, the emergency period is extended in accordance with the Section 425 of the State Constitution for six months from Feb. 1, 2023, citing unusual circumstances are happening in the country, only if the emergency period is extended, will the Commander-in-Chief accomplish his responsibilities.
Myanmar declared the state of emergency in February 2021 fand then extended it twice until Jan. 31 this year.
Myanmar blast kills three
YANGON – Three people were killed and nine wounded in a bomb blast at a railway station in southern Myanmar on Monday, the junta said.
The blast hit a station at Nyaunglaybin township in Bago region around 150 kilometres north of commercial hub Yangon at around 12:20 pm local time, the junta’s information team said in a statement.
It released pictures showing debris and roof tiles littering a platform, residents also reported three people had died and at least nine had been wounded.
The junta statement blamed anti-coup “People’s Defence Forces” (PDFs) for the attack, without offering evidence. The military and PDF groups have traded blame over several deadly blasts in recent months. AFP